The Hollywood Reporter The Hollywood Reporter The Gold Rush

« A tuneful Yo Gabba | Main | Building a (Russell) Brand »

September 30, 2008

Dog day afternoon

82913068

Is it too early to nominate the entire voice cast of "Beverly Hills Chihuahua" for the next Razzie awards? New category!

These are the things we ponder this 100-degree October-eve afternoon, along with...

Kind of sorry we missed "The View" earlier, what with perennial Emmy loser Bill Maher stopping by to boost his confrontational Oscar-buzzy docu, "Religulous," and having a bit of a come-to-Jesus with Sherri Shepherd. Well, what'd everybody think was going to happen?

Remember those early, tremendously unfunny "shush your cell phone" ads that ran at the multiplex to remind all those geniuses not to take calls during the movie? They're getting a lot better. This one from Sprint launches Friday (more entertaining than "Beverly Hills Chihuahua!")

By the by, do those PSAs work anyway? We asked. Here's the answer. A study in 2007 found that 93% of moviegoers across the country said they switched to silence or vibrate or turned off their phones after seeing AT&T's zip-it on-screen ads. The other 7% are always sitting next to us.

TrackBack

TrackBack URL for this entry:
https://www.typepad.com/services/trackback/6a00d83451d69069e20105350809ce970c

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference Dog day afternoon:

Comments

Joey Nader

If anybody pays to see or for that matter even sees Beverly Hills Chihuaua they should be spade & Neutered....And possibly hit on the nose with a roolled up newspaper...BAD DOG!!!

Joey Nader

If anybody pays to see or for that matter even sees Beverly Hills Chihuaua they should be spade & Neutered....And possibly hit on the nose with a roolled up newspaper...BAD DOG!!!

Joey Nader

If anybody pays to see or for that matter even sees Beverly Hills Chihuaua they should be spade & Neutered....And possibly hit on the nose with a roolled up newspaper...BAD DOG!!!

The comments to this entry are closed.

About this blog

Oscar Contenders

  • So "The Dark Knight" didn't make it into the final five after all, never mind that critical and popular support. Let's just call the comic-inspired mega-hit "The Biggest Snubee."

    Here are the best picture contenders in a race that, two weeks away from the Oscars, seems to be a foregone conclusion ("Slumdog") unless there's a come-from-behind possibility ("The Reader" anyone?)

    "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button," with Brad Pitt and Cate Blanchett; the politically timely "Milk;" rags-to-riches fairy tale, "Slumdog Millionaire," Holocaust best-seller-based drama "The Reader," and Watergate-era biopic "Frost/Nixon."

    Could "Button" and "Slumdog" split the vote, allowing another film to take the prize? Doesn't seem likely. After having clung to "Button" for months as what we thought would be the Academy voters' top vhoice, our money's now on "Slumdog." Momentum can't be ignored.

    Watch this blog for updates, ephemera and all manner of postulating.


© 2010 The Hollywood Reporter. All rights reserved. Terms Of Use and Privacy Policy.